bulk quantum computation

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 22:41:07 EST 2006

Here's a 1997 paper on "quantum computing in the large" that I had
been asking about:

http://www.media.mit.edu/physics/projects/spins/home.html

"Neil Gershenfeld and Isaac Chuang have developed an entirely new
approach to quantum computation that promises to solve many of these
problems. Instead of carefully isolating a small number of qubits, we
use a large thermal ensemble (such as a cup of coffee). Such a system
has ~10^23 degrees of freedom; by applying RF pulses that excite
nuclear magnetic resonances, we can create a tiny deviation from
equilibrium that acts just like a much smaller number of pure qubits."
--
Security Guru for Hire http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/ -><-
GPG fingerprint: 9D3F 395A DAC5 5CCC 9066  151D 0A6B 4098 0C55 1484