NPR : E-Mail Encryption Rare in Everyday Use

alex at alten.org alex at alten.org
Thu Mar 2 02:08:19 EST 2006

> Alex Alten wrote:

> >> I trust you don't think this is a problem with PKI, right? Since
> >> clearly the issue is with the s/w you were using.
> >
> > I place the blame squarely on X.509 PKI.  The identity aspect of it
> > is all screwed up. No software implementation can overcome such a
> > fundamental architectural flaw.
>
> OK - I'll bite - why does the sender's identity have any impact on the
> recipient's ability to decrypt?

Because the software needs a unique ID/name to find the correct key to
use. In practice (corporate) users can have multiple email names, see
my reply to Peter Gutman.  This is not the fault of the email
architecture, which has been working fine for 30-40 years, but the fault
of the X.509 architecture trying to piggyback on an address/name space
that is not designed with security/cryptography considerations in mind.

- Alex