WYTM - "but what if it was true?"

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Wed Jun 22 11:21:50 EDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Ian Grigg wrote:

> A highly aspirated but otherwise normal watcher of black helicopters asked:
>
>> Any idea if this is true?
>>  (WockerWocker, Wed Jun 22 12:07:31 2005)
>> http://c0x2.de/lol/lol.html

googling 'dell keylogger' certainly turns up a lot of sites who insist
that this is a hoax.

> Beats me.  But what it if it was true.  What's your advice to clients?

Um, be suspicious of keyboard changes?  Bring your own if you're paranoid?
Remove any "harmless" extension cables that suddenly attach themselves?
Most server-class hardware already has 'tamper-detection' hardware that
will warn you if the machine has been opened, which should cover the
"internal keylogger" case...
  --scott

COBRA JUDY FSF HTKEEPER RNC Philadelphia Treasury Flintlock NRA HTAUTOMAT
Cheney AEROPLANE LIONIZER Marxist ESCOBILLA PANCHO ESQUIRE JMWAVE
                          ( http://cscott.net/ )