WYTM - "but what if it was true?"

Mark Allen Earnest mxe20 at psu.edu
Wed Jun 22 13:46:21 EDT 2005

Ian Grigg wrote:
> A highly aspirated but otherwise normal watcher of black helicopters asked:
>

>>Any idea if this is true?
>> (WockerWocker, Wed Jun 22 12:07:31 2005)
>>http://c0x2.de/lol/lol.html
>

> Beats me.  But what it if it was true.  What's your advice to
> clients?

First up, it certainly is not true, the images are just ripped from here:
http://www.dansdata.com/keyghost.htm

To the question at hand, unless you built the hardware (or are an
electrical engineer and inspected it all), you cannot fully trust it. No
different than trusting that a compiler is not putting malicious code
into programs it compiled unless you inspect the disassembled binary
(with a disassembler you wrote, using a compiler you wrote, on hardware
you built, etc.)

I would however assume that if something like this were happening, it
would not be on a "stick out like a sore thumb" board stuck inside a PC,
it would be embedded inside a chip that is supposed to be there.

--

Mark Allen Earnest

Lead Systems Programmer
Emerging Technologies
The Pennsylvania State University

Lt Commander
Centre County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue

KB3LYB