Claimed proof of the Riemann Hypothesis released

J. Bruce Fields bfields at fieldses.org
Thu Jun 10 11:10:14 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:56:03PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Actual practical impact on cryptography? Likely zero, even if it turns
> out the proof is correct (which of course we don't know yet), but it
> still is neat for math geeks.

Also, the impact of such a proof is often that it represents a milestone
in understanding a certain piece of theory, so in the long run the ideas
used in the proof may be useful even if the result is no suprise, just
as in the cas of factoring challenges, when the work done to come up
with algorithms that can factor large integers may be important, and the
fact that someone was able to factor an integer of a certain size may
say something about the state of the art, even though nobody will
actually give a hoot what the factors turned out to be.

Of course, who knows about this particular case--apparently this guy has
a history of premature announcements.

--b.