Is finding security holes a good idea?

Eric Rescorla ekr at rtfm.com
Thu Jun 10 14:37:06 EDT 2004

Cryptography readers who are also interested in systems security may be
interested in reading my paper from the Workshop on Economics
and Information Security '04:

    Is finding security holes a good idea?

    Eric Rescorla
    RTFM, Inc.

    A large amount of effort is expended every year on finding and
    patching security holes. The underlying rationale for this activity
    is that it increases welfare by decreasing the number of bugs
    available for discovery and exploitation by bad guys, thus reducing
    the total cost of intrusions. Given the amount of effort expended,
    we would expect to see noticeable results in terms of improved
    software quality. However, our investigation does not support a
    substantial quality improvement--the data does not allow us to
    exclude the possibility that the rate of bug finding in any given
    piece of software is constant over long periods of time. If there is
    little or no quality improvement, then we have no reason to believe
    that that the disclosure of bugs reduces the overall cost of
    intrusions.

Paper:    http://www.dtc.umn.edu/weis2004/rescorla.pdf
Slides:   http://www.dtc.umn.edu/weis2004/weis-rescorla.pdf

-Ekr