Claimed proof of the Riemann Hypothesis released

Ivan Krstic krstic at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 10 01:50:22 EDT 2004

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
 > Actual practical impact on cryptography? Likely zero, even if it turns
 > out the proof is correct (which of course we don't know yet), but it
 > still is neat for math geeks.

Right. He constrains his proof to dealing with a specific subset of
Dirichlet zeta functions, which means he's not proving GRH or ERH, the
former of which would have some - mostly theoretical - implications on
crypto in the sense that it would make a number of primality algorithms,
previously running in "assumed P", provably polynomial-time. Even if he
proved GRH, I don't think the implications for crypto would be
particularly great -- yes, things like Miller-Rabin would provably run
in O(ln(n)^4), but AKS already runs in provably-polynomial time without
dependencies on unproved theorems, and has been improved to comparable
speed: O(ln(n)^k) | k=4+epsilon for certain cases, upper bound
k=6+epsilon [1], possibly faster since the last time I looked.

Cheers,
Ivan.

[1] See Crandall, Papadopoulos: "On the implementation of AKS-class
primality tests" (March 2003)