message, but also test

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Apr 29 09:42:36 EDT 2004

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:07:44 +0000
From: Ryan Lackey <ryan at venona.com>
To: cypherpunks at metacolo.com
Subject: message, but also test
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have actual performance measurements of ZKS from when
it was operational/at peak, in terms of bandwidth, MTU, latency, and
jitter?  Is there a good way to quantify just how far from
"acceptable" it was?

2) Does anyone know of any existing reviews of bandwidth cost in
multiple jurisdictions (say, per 1Mbps CIR international terrestrial),
as well as electricity (per-Kwh)?

I'm working on a research report which shows the 5-10 year costs for a
few specific businesses in as many different locations and
jurisdictions as possible, since otherwise it's almost impossible to
quantify how much "better" a jurisdiction is than any other.

I know bandwidth costs for all the markets I actually care about, but
I'd like to flesh this out to account for more individual countries.
The problem is the bandwidth numbers I have are public as well as very
aggressively negotiated, and there's usually a spread of 3-10x between
them, so I'd rather not have to go through that level of negotiation
for any additional data points.

(some people have been sending to cypherpunks at metacolo.com
vs. cypherpunks at cypherpunks.metacolo.com, which was causing a bunch of
cypherpunks mail to accumulate in the catchall spool for
metacolo.com.  I just added cypherpunks and cypherpunks-* aliases in
the metacolo domain as well, so it should work, of which this is a
test)

(I also subscribed the al-qaeda node, and will probably finish setting
up the spamfiltered version of the list, as well as passing the back
archives through the same archiving software as current archives, and
search-indexing them, next time I get bored)

--
Ryan Lackey [RL960-RIPE AS24812]   ryan at venona.com   +1 202 258 9251
OpenPGP DH 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B   DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA