voting

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Apr 7 22:14:06 EDT 2004

> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> I'm a believer in the KISS principle.
>
> A ballot that is both machine and human readable and is constructed by
> machine seems ideal. You enter your votes, a card drops down, you
> verify it and drop it in a slot. Ideally, the cards would be marked
> with something like OCR-B so that the correspondence between machine
> marking and human marking is trivial.
>
> You can't have "hanging chads" or mismarks on optical cards because a
> machine marks it for you. You can always do a recount, just by running
> the cards through the reader again. You can prevent ballot stuffing by
> having representatives of several parties physically present during
> the handling of the ballot boxes -- just like now. You can verify that
> the counting mechanisms are working right by manually counting if
> needed.
>
> Complicated systems are the bane of security. Systems like this are
> simple to understand, simple to audit, simple to guard.
>
> Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com

I think Perry has hit it on the head, with the one exception that
the voter should never have the receipt in his hand - that opens
the way for serial voting fraud.

The receipt should be exposed to the voter behind glass, and
when he/she presses the 'accept' button, it visibly drops into
the sealed, opaque ballot box.

Peter