[Mac_crypto] Apple should use SHA! (or stronger) to authenticate software releases

Don Davis dtd at world.std.com
Sun Apr 4 17:56:51 EDT 2004

hi, mr. reinhold --

there's stronger reason than the ones you cite,
to distrust md5 as a message-digest.  see these
old sci.crypt threads, and the google-search below,
for discussions of hans dobbertin's 1996 crack
of md5:

http://tinyurl.com/2ox7g

http://tinyurl.com/3x446

http://google.com/search?q=dobbertin+md5&num=30

btw, in a phone conversation, dobbertin emphasized
to me that his attack only works when md5 is used
as a message-digest; it doesn't work when md5 is
used with a key to prepare a MAC.  he also mentioned
that while sha-1 may be vulnerable to an attack of
a similar style (because sha-1 is similar in struc-
ture to md5), he himself was forbiddden by german
law to work to cryptanalyze sha-1, because he worked
at that time for the german federal security service,
and so wasn't allowed to attack the USG's standard
ciphers.  now he's at ruhr university (in bochum),
but i don't know whether he's more of a free agent.

				- don davis, boston