Keysigning @ CFP2003

Jeroen van Gelderen jeroen at vangelderen.org
Tue Mar 25 00:22:04 EST 2003

On Monday, Mar 24, 2003, at 22:32 US/Eastern, bear wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
>
>> It's rather efficient if you want to sign a large number of keys of
>> people you mostly do not know personally.
>
> Right, but remember that knowing people personally was supposed
> to be part of the point of vouching for their identity to others.

Not that I heard of. I always understood that I should be 'convinced'
of the identity and willing to state that to others.

Knowing someone personally is very nice and gives you rather a lot of
assurance that their identity is being used consistently and that
others know the person by the same identity. (It is for precisely that
reason that I have signed a few keys for people who use an alias.)

Sometimes however you have the choice between a 'weaker' form of
certification and no certification at all. I prefer the former because
it increases the chances of the WoT being useful. Key signing parties'
reliance on passports are a case in point. In general passports are a
reasonable indication of identity.

> "I know this guy.  We spent a couple years working on X together."
> is different in kind from "I met this guy once in my life, and he
> had a driver license that said his name was mike."

Yes. But PGP doesn't mandate either interpretation. That is what you
use your trust knobs for: you decide on a per-user basis how
trustworthy an identity certification from that user is. The redundancy
of a well-connected WoT then helps you a bit in eliminating simple
errors.

Cheers,
Jeroen
Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen at vangelderen.org

                 The python
            has, and I fib no fibs,
              318 pairs of ribs.
       In stating this I place reliance
   On a séance with one who died for science.
     This figure is sworn to and attested;
     He counted them while being digested.
             -- Ogden Nash