Microsoft: Palladium will not limit what you can run

David Turner novalis at novalis.org
Tue Mar 18 13:33:35 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 05:12, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Anonymous wrote:
>
> > Microsoft's point with regard to DRM has always been that Palladium had
> > other uses besides that one which everyone was focused on.  Obviously
>
> Of course it's useful. Does the usefulness outweigh the support for
> special interests (DRM, governments, software monopolies)? There is no
> value for the end user which can't be achieved with smart cards, which
> have the additional potential of being removable and transportable.

I have my own problems with Pd, but I'm not sure how remote attestation
can be achieved without something like Pd or TCPA.  And remote
attestation is quite useful (although also dangerous) for online gaming,
and distributed computing.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson