REQ: Review of Nigel Smart's "Introduction to Cryptography"

Mads Rasmussen mads at opencs.com.br
Fri Mar 7 13:14:04 EST 2003

Has anyone read Nigel Smart's book from late 2002, "introduction to
Cryptography"

The latest IACR newsletter brought an overview and TOC of the book,
which I found interesting. It seems to me the first time provable
security is mentioned in a textbook (see part IV, 17 and 18)

As the newsletter said, more info is available at

     http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0077099877.html
<http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0077099877.html>

I would be very interested in hearing from someone that read the book on
how this material is presented. I find Bellare and Rogaway's lecture
notes magnificent but it isn't a textbook.

I quoted the excerpt from the IACR newsletter below for those who might
be interested

Regards,

Mads Rasmussen

--

Cryptography, An Introduction

   by Nigel Smart,
   McGraw-Hill, 2002.
   ISBN 0 077 09987 7 (PB).

   Nigel Smart's Cryptography provides the rigorous detail required for
   advanced cryptographic studies, yet approaches the subject matter in
   an accessible style in order to gently guide new students through
   difficult mathematical topics. Covering the latest developments in
   cryptography, including the Rijndael algorithm chosen for the new
   Advanced Encryption Standard, the OAEP padding system for RSA,
   elliptic curve based systems and provable security this book is a
   complete introduction to cryptography.

Part I Mathematical Background
1 Modular Arithmetic, Groups, Finite Fields and Probability
2 Elliptic Curves

Part II Symmetric Encryption
3 Historical Ciphers
4 Information Theoretic Security
5 Symmetric Ciphers
6 Symmetric Key Distribution

Part III Public Key Encryption and Signatures
7 Basic Public Key Encryption Algorithms
8 Primality Testing and Factoring
9 Discrete Logarithms
10 Key Exchange, Signature Schemes and Hash Functions
11 Implementation Issues
12 Obtaining Authentic Public Keys
13 Protocols

Part IV Security Issues
14 Attacks on Public Key Schemes
15 Definitions of Security
16 Complexity Theoretic Approaches
17 Provable Security: With Random Oracles
18 Provable Security: Without Random Oracles
Appendices
Appendix A Basic Mathematical Terminology
Appendix B Java Examples