Scientists question electronic voting

(Mr) Lyn R. Kennedy lrkn at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 01:50:44 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:35:22PM -0500, Barney Wolff wrote:

> We certainly don't want an electronic system that is more
> vulnerable than existing systems, but sticking with known-to-be-terrible
> systems is not a sensible choice either.

Paper ballots, folded, and dropped into a large transparent box, is not a
broken system. It's voting machines, punch cards, etc that are broken.
I don't recall seeing news pictures of an election in any other western
democracy where they used machines.

And the Florida election was apparently affected more by eligible voters
turned away from the polls than by votes sold. Maybe crypto, smart-cards,
biometrics, etc would help authenticate voter eligibility and enforce one
vote per live voter (zero per dead voter).