Scientists question electronic voting

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 7 01:00:25 EST 2003

At 10:35 PM 3/6/03 -0500, Barney Wolff wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 08:38:42PM -0500, Dan Riley wrote:
> >
> > But this whole discussion is terribly last century--still pictures are
> > passe.  What's the defense of any of these systems against cell phones
> > that transmit live video?
>
>A Faraday cage.
>
>Seriously, what current or historic voting system would defend against
>these risks?  We certainly don't want an electronic system that is more
>vulnerable than existing systems, but sticking with known-to-be-terrible
>systems is not a sensible choice either.

I think the real defense against vote-buying or vote-extortion schemes is
external--detecting any such scheme that has much of an impact because it
necessarily involves hundreds or thousands of people.  This assumes that
the authorities and media aren't totally corrupted, but so does any voting
technology.  With a lot of the more elaborate technological attacks,
though, it's hard to see an attacker with current technology being able to
afford them.

--John Kelsey, kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com