17 Cypherpunks subscribers on watch list, Project Lookout

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Nov 20 14:16:01 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:58:29AM +0100, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> It's even worse: I know some american court decisions which
> limit the rights given in the american constitution to
> american citizens only. E.g. the fourth amendment does not
> apply to non-americans, therefore police doesn't even need a
> warrant to search their house or computer in the eyes of
> US justice.

I believe this is correct. Therre's a bill in Congress sponsored by
Sen. Mike DeWine (R-Ohio) that would allow the Feds to spy on
non-citizens in the U.S. based on the mere "suspicion" of a link to
terrorism, espionage, etc. That covers visa holders, tourists, and so on.

It's so disturbing that even a Justice Department attorney said the
department was "not prepared to support" the bill.

Details:
http://news.com.com/2010-1071-948283.html

-Declan

ObListRelevance: DeWine's bill amends FISA, which isn't limited to
traditional phone wiretapping. There's an entire section devoted to
electronic eavesdropping, permitting "the installation or use of an
electronic, mechanical or other surveillance device." That's a
flexible definition that stretches to include Carnivore, keystroke
loggers, Magic Lantern, and other as-yet-unrevealed techniques.