17 Cypherpunks subscribers on watch list, Project Lookout

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Nov 19 19:53:39 EST 2002

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:59:42 -0800
Subject: Re: 17 Cypherpunks subscribers on watch list, Project Lookout
From: Tim May <tcmay at got.net>
To: cypherpunks at lne.com
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at lne.com

On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 02:06  PM, Tim May wrote:

> A company I am involved with has been on the distribution list for the
> FBI's Project Lookout watch list, the list being shared with banks,
> electronics companies, consulting firms, transportation companies, and
> 1100 other firms.
>
> Cross-indexing with the CP subscriber list, I find 17 names on both
> lists.
>
> We must be vigilant! Civil rights are only for innocents, not guilty
> persons.

Wow, what a response, at least in private! Four of you have so far
contacted me about the Watch List, asking "out of curiousity" if they
are on the list or if the list is available online someplace. (One of
the four got the message from a forwarding by a list member here. I
really wish you, "E.L.," would not forward messages to unrelated lists.)

But I need a fifth name. HomeSec promised my own name would be removed
if I provided the name of _five_ (5) other suspects.

And I need to get off that list by April 1st, which has been designated
Roundup Day.

--Tim May
"To those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty,
my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists."  --John
Ashcroft, U.S. Attorney General

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA