why there is no WoT in S/MIME (Re: PGP & GPG compatibility)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Mon Feb 11 04:33:32 EST 2002

The fact that S/MIME doesn't work well with WoT, and that there are
two classes of users: end users, and CAs is a design criteria burnt
into the spec and most of the software.  It's a business issue, the CA
players were involved in writing the standards, and they have a vested
interest to force users into paying them money to use the software.
It's also a factor why most of the statistic of users with S/MIME MUAs
aren't using it.  I think S/MIME would be more widely used by
individuals if the end-user software worked without CA certificates
and preferably supported some form of WoT.

Adam