PGP & GPG compatibility

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Feb 10 23:28:04 EST 2002

Lucky Green writes:
 > On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > > I think the only worthwhile way forward is to create a
 > > cryptographic email standard de novo, which is free of export,
 > > trademark, and patent problems.
 >
 > I believe such a standard already exists. It is called S/MIME. Best of
 > all, this email encryption standard is supported out-of-the-box by the
 > overwhelming majority of deployed MUA's in the world.

Well, one of the things that PGP/GPG/OpenPGP got right is the web of
trust model.  Given that model, there is nothing preventing someone
from imposing a certificate authority on top of that web.  On the
other hand, I know of know way to make S/MIME work without a
certificate from an authority.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies