PGP & GPG compatibility

Pete Chown Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 06:39:50 EST 2002

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Well, one of the things that PGP/GPG/OpenPGP got right is the web of
> trust model.

Sure, it is more flexible than X.509 because you could implement the
X.509 trust model in OpenPGP if you wanted to.

> On the
> other hand, I know of know way to make S/MIME work without a
> certificate from an authority.

Perhaps that is an argument for a new certificate format.  I've thought
that an XML based certificate format would work well...  It could take
advantage of the XML digital signature work, it would be human readable,
and it could be processed with existing tools.  There are also lots of
existing schemas that could be used, such as vcard.

--
Pete