PGP & GPG compatibility

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Sat Feb 9 17:52:19 EST 2002

jamesd at echeque.com writes:

>> >  > Things would get much better if a PGP 2 version with
>> >  > support for CAST5 would get more into use.  [ etc. ]
>
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Russell Nelson wrote:
>> > I know that you're working hard, Werner, but I believe
>> > that the recent few years have destroyed the PGP
>> > brandname.  I think the only worthwhile way forward is to
>> > create a cryptographic email standard de novo, which is
>> > free of export, trademark, and patent problems.
>
> On 9 Feb 2002, at 22:36, Lucky Green wrote:
>> I believe such a standard already exists. It is called
>> S/MIME. Best of all, this email encryption standard is
>> supported out-of-the-box by the overwhelming majority of
>> deployed MUA's in the world.
>
> However, to make it work, everyone needs to get officially
> blessed keys, and manage those keys.

I believe it would be fruitful to separate the secure email message
formats (S/MIME vs PGP/MIME, or perhaps CMS vs OpenPGP) from the key
trust mechanism (PKI CA vs PGP web of trust).  In theory I cannot see
why one decision need to affect the other, they could be orthogonal
issues.  Perhaps by reading the relevant standards creatively, a
mailer sending S/MIME messages but uses a OpenPGP implementation
locally is already possible.