Best practices/HOWTO for key storage in small office/home office setting?

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Tue Oct 2 12:23:23 EDT 2001

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:

>Here are a few suggestions:
>
>o Use mini-CD-R's for key storage. There is even a rectangular,
>credit-card sized format available. (Note that mini-CDs are not
>compatible with slot loading CD drives.)

I think one of those tiny USB flash memories IBM makes would be even
better. Sufficient capacity, no moving parts, extremely discreet.

>o Perform all encryption, signing, etc. on a lap top or palm top that is
>kept in a safe or on your person when not in use and is never connected
>to a network.

Or integrate some computing power into those IBM thingies, and use
remotely keyed encryption. Enough power is available through USB so that
you don't have to end up with battery power.

This isn't available now, though. I *really* hope IBM would take the hint.
It would make key management a whole lot easier.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy at iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111