Best practices/HOWTO for key storage in small office/home office setting?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Oct 2 12:41:51 EDT 2001

At 07:23 PM 10/02/2001 +0300, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
>Or integrate some computing power into those IBM thingies, and use
>remotely keyed encryption. Enough power is available through USB so that
>you don't have to end up with battery power.

Sounds like you're starting to reinvent the I-Button.
(Dallas semiconductor's product - uses a small computer chip
and an infrared link attached to a watch battery.)

But, yeah, the USB memory things are cute, at least if you're
using machines new enough to have USB ports.

If your threat model includes people rifling through your office
looking for stuff, you're probably toast anyway,
but you can always do a secret-sharing thing.
If you do want off-site storage for your keys,
secret-sharing is especially important.