Best practices/HOWTO for key storage in small office/home office setting?

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Mon Oct 1 18:20:08 EDT 2001

Here are a few suggestions:

o Use mini-CD-R's for key storage. There is even a rectangular,
credit-card sized format available. (Note that mini-CDs are not
compatible with slot loading CD drives.)

o Perform all encryption, signing, etc. on a lap top or palm top that
is kept in a safe or on your person when not in use and is never
connected to a network.  Transfer files via floppy or memory cards.
Standard PC's that are physically accessible to strangers or
connected to networks are not safe for storage of unencrypted keys,
even for a moment.

o Use strong, randomly selected passphrases, see e.g. diceware.com

o Use Macs, particularly pre-OS-X. The OS has fewer hooks for viruses
and worms and there are fewer virus templates out there. That doesn't
mean these machines can't be broken into, only that it takes more
work.

o Safes should be backed up by a good alarm company. Even the best
safes afford protection against attack for a matter of hours.

I have some links to information on safes at
http://world.std.com/~reinhold/truenoise.html#safes

Arnold Reinhold