[DailyRotten] FBI requests worm-built password log

Will Rodger wrodger at pobox.com
Mon Dec 17 16:17:39 EST 2001

  Jay D. Dyson writes::
>On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Gordon Mohr wrote:
>
> > http://www.dailyrotten.com/articles/archive/189387.html
> >
> > I can see legitimate reasons for wanting the log: tracing the
> > progression/origin of the worm, or notifying the victims.
> >
> > But the interplay with MagicLantern and PatriotAct issues is
> > thought-provoking...
>
>         Actually, this is nothing new.  The boys at the Bureau have a long
>history of requesting data to which they have no genuine legal right of
>access.  Their original requests -- with few exceptions -- bank on
>ignorance of due process.

Why is anyone surprised law enforcement would want this data? In order to
investigate the crime in the first place, law enforcement needs to know
what the crackers stole.

One may not like the standards for access (warrant, certification,
administrative subpoena, etc.) but it's difficult to argue the FBI lacks a
legitimate purpose for this data. I also see no evidence that any laws are
being broken here. So what's the gripe? The Patriot Act went too far?
That's old news at this point.

Given the detail (and named sources) missing from the story, it looks like
nothing so much an account of a standard, legitimate inquiry from law
enforcement.

Will Rodger