[Cryptography] Random number generation influenced, HW RNG

John Kelsey crypto.jmk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 15:59:38 EDT 2013

On Sep 10, 2013, at 2:30 AM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:

> The question of whether one could simulate a raw physical source is tantalising.  I see diverse opinions as to whether it is plausible, and thinking about it, I'm on the fence.

I don't think simulating a physical source is itself a big challenge.  People simulate complicated probabilistic behavior all the time.  The challenge is going to be sticking it into the chip in a way that doesn't show up when the chip is taken apart in a lab.

How can we design the whole system so that some compromised or flawed pieces don't wreck us?  I don't know how to ensure my chip's hardware RNG isn't hacked, but I have some hope of working out a design that will be robust even if it is hacked.

--John