[Cryptography] phantom 3g service?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Oct 15 07:38:19 EDT 2022

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 5:19 PM Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:
> On 10/13/22 14:09, Jon Callas wrote:
> >       • Verizon's 3G network will shut off on December 31, 2022. The carrier has made it clear that "the date will not be extended again."
> >
> > So it's possible that there is some Verizon tower you're picking up.

> area) EXCEPT for one small spot out on Treasure Island - which is
> probably coast guard or city government or a marina or something.

> It would be pretty remarkable if that's what I'm picking up though
> because that's a good eighteen miles from here.

If interference is shut down 18 miles is possible
and would be intermittent enough to make one curious.
An old rule of thumb is that the horizon is 21 miles for ships with sails.
and for a 6' person 3 miles, thus two people might signal each other at 6 miles.
Cellular or PCS cell site towers are typically 50-200 feet high. so possible.

--

          T o m    M i t c h e l l  (on NiftyEgg[.]com )