[Cryptography] phantom 3g service?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Oct 14 16:14:35 EDT 2022

On 10/13/22 14:09, Jon Callas wrote:
> 	• Verizon's 3G network will shut off on December 31, 2022. The carrier has made it clear that "the date will not be extended again."
>
> So it's possible that there is some Verizon tower you're picking up.

Hmm.  'kay.  I went and found the Verizon coverage map, but they're not
talking about anything save 4g and 5g service.

So I went to something I just barely remembered but I managed to find it
again - a site where they collect coverage information while driving
around.  So naturally the coverage info is limited to highways but they
haven't detected any 3g Verizon towers local to me (san francisco bay
area) EXCEPT for one small spot out on Treasure Island - which is
probably coast guard or city government or a marina or something.

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/US/-/3255.Verizon-Wireless/signal/?ll=37.82897184890619&lg=-122.3361110687256&zoom=14

It would be pretty remarkable if that's what I'm picking up though
because that's a good eighteen miles from here.

             Bear