[Cryptography] Russian "ERA" cryptophone fiasco

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Thu Mar 31 17:39:05 EDT 2022

>> The lack of foresight involved in the introduction of the Russian
>> army’s new Era encrypted-communications system [...]. Supposedly
>> secure, it relies on 3G towers—which Russia destroyed when it
>> invaded Ukraine. Because the system is simply not working, Russian
>> officers have to communicate in open speech by cellphone, as gleeful
>> Ukrainian volunteers listen in. [3]
>
> Uhhhh, why do cleartext cellphones work if the towers are down? At
> what point do we start to disbelieve what we are told about this? And
> isn't it a bit odd and a bit unwise for people to brag about such
> exploits before the war is over?
Look more closely.  The Russian system relied on *3G*.  Cellphones are mainly on 4G these days.  For whatever reasons, the Russians quickly took out the *3G* towers, but didn't go after, or didn't successfully go after, the 4G cell sites.  Also, the Ukrainians have been working continuously to restore cell sites.  Obviously they are going to concentrate on the 4G sites that they mainly use, not the 3G sites that the Russians would like to use.

So now you know why 3G is being shut down in the US:  As a defense against a Russian invasion!  :-)
                                                        -- Jerry