[Cryptography] Russian "ERA" cryptophone fiasco

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Mar 30 23:33:29 EDT 2022

> On Mar 29, 2022, at 23:05, John Denker via cryptography <cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:
>
> Uhhhh, why do cleartext cellphones work if the towers are down? At
> what point do we start to disbelieve what we are told about this? And
> isn't it a bit odd and a bit unwise for people to brag about such
> exploits before the war is over?

There have been some intercepts of HF Russian war radio traffic published <https://www.russianwarchatter.info/#/submit>. These are being received by Software Defined Radio receivers available on the internet. Probably other receivers have been used as well. I think WWII vintage receivers might have worked nearly as well.

Cheers - Bill