[Cryptography] Interesting discussion of Web 3.0 ...

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 14:21:08 EST 2022

> Most of the news stories (example[1]) are users want to have control
> over data *about* them.

Data you generate is also intrinsically about you (even cointel).

> I believe the cloest products to what you are looking for Network
> Attached Storage (NAS) boxes, such as those sold by Synology and QNAP.

Seems relevant, as NAS could be useful for mailman + attachment data.
But does NAS have an option for computable documents?

The "Autoglyphs" idea from Larva Labs is in a much different class than
multimillion dollar fever dreams about Jodorowsky's Dune.

> You can of course just purchase a Intel NUC (Next Unit of Computation)
> . . .  These are much cheaper, smaller, and require much less
> power.  However, they has the do-it-yourself system adminisrtation
> problem . . .

Power consumption is a selling point, as is preconfig sysadmin if anyone
figures that problem out in a user friendly way (not an option from S76
as far as I know).

> But in the case of storage of NFT's and cryptocurrencies

Just to reiterate: I'm not limiting possible use cases to new money, and
what I'm really talking about is next gen. portfolio building. It's more
difficult
to steal a diversified portfolio, but it can happen as a timed attack with
regard to development cycles.

To clarify usage of "next gen": there's a lot of damage to be dealt by
smart, autonomous "real computers" using only a few compute nodes.
Some of my best proofs run on the order of seconds, but referees who
used to appreciate optimization nowadays say "if it doesn't take thousands
of man hours and tons of electricity, it must not be work".

In the future, sexier genetic algorithms and machine learning will probably
take over industries where linear programming had previously been the
minimum buy in (hint: "multicomputational paradigm"). So question for
"those who aspire": can you build your own "homelab" distributed computing.
For example this looks interesting:

https://tightlycoupled.io/stormlight/

> [3] https://safety.google/intl/en_us/security/built-in-protection/
> [4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd33UVZhnAA
> [5] https://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/google_security_wp.pdf

Thanks.

> When you say "horror stories" you makes it sound like these stories
> are not justified ...

It's on the nightly news! Should I say that it's terrifying or terrorizing?

> you'll need to convince users that no really, they should do the
> equivalent of taking their life savings and putting it on a home
> crypto server is something you're going to have to figure out.

Sorry, I would never do that. The most I could advocate is people
making better use of technology available to them, and owning
the masters to what they can think to create.

> (a) in far too many locales, there isn't enough competition between ISP's

This honestly seems like the biggest problem to Web3.0 proposal.
There also can be too much competition in david and goliath situations
where goliath ends up winning against antitrust protections.

Thanks again for your response,

--Brad