[Cryptography] Interesting discussion of Web 3.0 ...

Viktor Dukhovni cryptography at dukhovni.org
Wed Jan 19 22:53:22 EST 2022

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 02:00:14PM +0000, Wendy M. Grossman wrote:

> I don't think the claim is that technological innovation favors
> centralization but that *users* do. You run your own SMTP server and so
> do I (though it's held together with string and paperclips), but the
> vast, vast majority of the *techies* I know gave that up years ago when
> Gmail's spam filtering got good and they show no interest in returning.
>
> All this stuff is insanely complex and getting more so, and every bit of
> added complexity means more people will want someone to do the hard
> stuff for them. And that, inevitably, brings centralization.

FWIW, the mailserver part did get much easier with the advent systems
like:

    https://mailinabox.email

All the integration of disparate components is made turnkey.  You
just need to provide hardware and power[1].  Disclaimer, as a Postfix
maintainer, I build my own mailserver, but in the DANE survey I
encounter many users of <mailinabox.email>, <https://mailcow.email/>,
etc.

And yet, typical users will still choose Gmail or similar, despite
Gmail's creaky Webmail interface and IMAP compatibility glitches.

Perhaps because the phone app works fine and even presents essential
detail summaries of PDFs with flight details, ... Real computers are
increasingly second-class citizens these days, even as clients.

--
    Viktor.