[Cryptography] Interesting discussion of Web 3.0 ...

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 16:59:00 EST 2022

Wendy:
> I don't think the claim is that technological innovation favors
> centralization but that *users* do.

Is it users favoring centralization? Isn't the print news saying that
people
are finally starting to get smarter about wanting to own their own data?

Not to disagree too much--is it possible that the human force favoring
centralization is the evolving threat landscape of criminals and bullies?

Jerry:
> The second explanation is that we just have not built the technology to
> make it feasible for people, or even businesses, to run their own
servers.
> ... well, we as an industry haven't really been trying very hard, have we?

Products that don't seem to exist at retail (yet) are NACs (A for Atom)
preconfigured to some particular purpose--as in the blog post, it could
be as personal servers or as nodes in a distributed consensus problem.

Such systems only need to boot to runlevel 3, so the overhead for graphic
design is nothing. The difficult part is making sure compute or serve nodes
are easy to access by higher runlevel machines "in mesh", and
cryptographically
secure relative to non-trusted outsiders, potential criminals, bullies etc.

What's really slowing down this possible market is horror stories about
stolen emails, ransomware etc. The other problem, even if users can get
acceptable pre-configured hardware, is where you should put the public
facing node. Are some ISP's more tolerant than others?

--Brad