[Cryptography] Interesting discussion of Web 3.0 ...

Wendy M. Grossman wendyg at cix.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 09:00:14 EST 2022

On 1/15/22 1:16 AM, Brad Klee wrote:
> Self deprecation is self ad hominem? The purpose of my previous
> posts was just to say there are at least two sides to the debate,
> and technological innovation doesn't have to favor centralization
> or loss of know how in user communities (even if institutions
> and finance want to go on a fox hunt, so to speak).

I don't think the claim is that technological innovation favors
centralization but that *users* do. You run your own SMTP server and so
do I (though it's held together with string and paperclips), but the
vast, vast majority of the *techies* I know gave that up years ago when
Gmail's spam filtering got good and they show no interest in returning.

All this stuff is insanely complex and getting more so, and every bit of
added complexity means more people will want someone to do the hard
stuff for them. And that, inevitably, brings centralization.

wg
--
www.pelicancrossing.net <- all about me
Twitter: @wendyg