[Cryptography] Interesting discussion of Web 3.0 ...

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 20:16:50 EST 2022

> Will there people who want to run their own servers?  Sure, I'm one
> of the weirdos that not only run my own web server, I even run my
> own SMTP server.

Self deprecation is self ad hominem? The purpose of my previous
posts was just to say there are at least two sides to the debate,
and technological innovation doesn't have to favor centralization
or loss of know how in user communities (even if institutions
and finance want to go on a fox hunt, so to speak).

Other computer users want more autonomy from corporations, so
would probably listen to advice how to run SMTP + mailman
instead of a discord or chat whatever.

> It's much cheaper to rely on a centralized service, and that is
> what the MIT institution has chosen to do.

Centralization is in favor of places like MIT and Google, and
other places where responsibilities are concentrated in only a
few specialized individuals.

Outsiders are the ones who stand to gain, and needing to figure
out a new way to reach similar goals. Not necessarily new money,
or new NFTs (ha ha), but hopefully new ideas and improved quality
of life through improved access to helpful information.

> How well do most people know their neighbors?  Is someone going
> to be trustworthy just because they happen to live next door?

Present circumstances are not safe. That also seems to go for
neighbors online... Seems easier to get bullied than make friends
(and bullying has a mortality statistic for teenagers). If people
share a common interest, something positive is more likely to happen.

> How do they know whether or not that person is *competent*?
> How do they know whether he will be dutifully installing all of
> the relevant security updates?  How do they know that he won't
> abscond with most of their life savings, leaving them to sob
> on the evening news, "I should have stayed with Bank of America"?

Important questions to answer when thinking about joining any new
project, especially if money (or even time) is involved. Plenty of
snakeoil salesmen in the "crypto market" who aren't really that
interested in algorithms and / or computer security.

Thanks again for your expert opinion--looks like mailman is still
working fine. Doesn't need animated GIFs I guess. Or does it?

--Brad