[Cryptography] doorbells for Ukraine

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 01:25:48 EST 2022

On 19/12/2022 02:49, Tomasz Rola wrote:

> So I suppose mil will stick to something that actually works and can
> use diesel generator, is already integrated into air defences etc.

Afaict, in traditional air defence setups the only thing which uses a
lot of power is the radar emitter. It's also the target for
anti-radiation missiles.  Unfortunately the usual mobile anti-air track
combines emitter, receiver and missiles all in one, so an anti-radiation
missile takes them all out.

So, first separate the emitter from the receivers and the ground-to-air
missiles. I say receivers plural because if you have many receivers
separation from the transmitter stops being a problem and incidentally
becomes a benefit - it is hard to completely destroy a distributed
system. Processing can be done anywhere, but is probably best distributed.

You could also separate the emitter from the power supply too, so one
power supply operated several emitters a few hundred meters away. Only
one / none of the emitters operate at any one time so the power supply
doesn't need to be oversize. Think generator track with a few quad bikes
to move the emitters.

That way if an emitter is destroyed the generator, receivers, processors
and missiles aren't, and a new emitter can be in operation in milliseconds.

But this is straying far from cryptography ...

Peter Fairbrother