[Cryptography] doorbells for Ukraine

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Dec 18 21:49:14 EST 2022

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 02:04:21AM -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Surely somebody else has already thought of this, but....
>
> Ring had/has a Ukraine R&D facility.
>
> Ukraine needs to detect incoming shells, missiles, drones.
>
> Wouldn't a few (thousand) cloud connected cameras and microphones be
> able to determine paths and trajectories?

While this sounds good at first, I think the idea would work best at
peace time. Please consider:

 - the majority of IoT is located in cities, so large area of the
   country has very poor coverage

 - the power blackout will render huge area of country into a sensory
   fog

 - it is possible to inject false positives into this system

So I suppose mil will stick to something that actually works and can
use diesel generator, is already integrated into air defences etc.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola