[Cryptography] Quantum computers and the Government

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Sep 8 17:35:06 EDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 2:19 PM Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> ProtonMail logged IP address of French activist after order by Swiss
> authorities
>

> https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/06/protonmail-logged-ip-address-of-french-activist-after-order-by-swiss-authorities/
>
> What are the chances that the Swiss govt has done the same thing to Signal?

That is sure to happen sooner or later and only an idiot (or someone with
no principles) designs a system so that they go to jail or break their
principles.

The achilles heel of Signal and Proton mail are that they are single
service provider and thus there is an inevitable point of control. The
authorities could even tell the service provider to push out an app with a
hole in it because the service provider is also the software provider.

I completed the implementation of the Mesh functionality last week, just
taking a week off before finishing the documentation pass and making the
demo video.

One of the key features of the Mesh is that while it requires a service to
function, everyone chooses their own service and can change their mind
about their service provider at any time. Having been involved in the
management of the two control points of the legacy Internet, I have looked
for a way to reduce the control capability to the absolute bare minimum
without losing functionality.