[Cryptography] How close we are to quantum crypto:

cherry cherry at cpal.pw
Mon Nov 1 19:39:45 EDT 2021

People who think that quantum cryptography is near notice that there
have been immense improvements in quantum gates, many orders of magnitude.

The universal quantum gate reversibly transforms an input quantum state
of three qbits into output quantum state of three qbits, and we are sort
of able to build such gates, and an array of such gates can perform any
reversible transformation on any number of qbits.

So, they think, just build a massive array of such gates to manage a two
fifty two bit calculation, and we can crack the very widely used
asymmetric encryption family **25519

We can build those gates now, so what is stopping every **25519
encryption system from falling tomorrow morning, they ask.

Not so.  Quantum gates do not add up like that.  As you attempt to
manipulate a state with more and more bits with state delocalized and
non locally correlated over all the bits, it becomes more and more
fragile.  An array of three bit gates manipulating a four bit state,
each of which is very qood at keeping the state of three bits pure, but
not perfect, adds up to four bit transformation that is very bad at
keeping the state of four bits pure.

If we can easily build a three bit gate, then we can easily perform
Shor's algorithm on a three bit number.

If we can build many very good three bit gates, we can perform it on a
four bit number.  And by extraordinary and heroic efforts, a five bit
number.

This is related to the classical problem of building reversible logic
circuits out of mechanical gears.  Too many gear wheels, each of which
has very low static friction, adds up to a system with very high static
friction, which will lock up.

If you want to solve a reversible NP problem with mechanical gear
wheels, you could build a polynomially sized array of gear wheels,
which, if frictionless, could only spin in a way that corresponds to a
solution of of the NP problem to which you want a solution.  Then you
apply torque to one of the gear wheels.

And ... guess what.  It does not spin.

With many more order of magnitude improvements in the quantum character
of gates. which are happening and are likely to continue to happen, we
will eventually be able to crack a six bit number, which I expect to
happen sometime around 2030, 2060 or so.

With continued rapid progress, eventually, after many decades of
continued rapid progress, perhaps a seven bit number.

The cure for this scaling problem is quantum error correction, which
would have the effect that instead of exponential difficulty, we would
merely face polynomial difficulty, albeit a polynomial of alarmingly
high degree.

Quantum error correction is a hard problem, and I just don't see much
work in the published literature on it.  It just gets tossed in the too
hard basket.  What I *do* see is a pile of published papers that glibly
transliterate classical error correction to the quantum domain.  Quantum
error correction just cannot work like that.

It is probably easier to publish bullshit on quantum error correction in
the peer reviewed literature than anything substantive, because all your
peers have also published bullshit, and anything substantive will
implicitly piss on their bullshit.   And if you need to get a paper out
because publish or perish, there is little alternative to writing
bullshit.  Quantum error correction is hard, and there is no real
incentive to do real work on it.

I know what a system that relies on quantum error correction should look
like, and I have seen theoretical work on such systems, and some
research into what is needed to actually realize such circuits in a
physical device, but not a whole lot of it.  It is blue sky, far over
the horizon research, and it does not fit into the "Quantum crypto is
coming soon" narrative, which is where all the money is.