[Cryptography] quantum computers & crypto

cherry cherry at cpal.pw
Mon Nov 1 07:54:57 EDT 2021

On 10/31/21 8:15 AM, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> So where fixing those things has a significant cost, that cost is a sign
> that they needed fixed anyway.

The major cost of "fixing" things is that broken crypto tends to get
even more broken.  Our institutional process does not appear to be
capable of fixing things.

The state of our Wifi protocols is merely a particular example of
general brokenness everywhere.

There are a vast multitude of problems and issues just as serious in
widely used cryptography, as the defect in Wifi, which allows passive
sniffers to perform an offline dictionary attack, which will break a
majority of human memorable passwords.

The fix for the Wifi problem (PAKE and OPAKE) has been known for over
two decades, but instead of it being fixed, recent Wifi protocol changes
have made it a great deal worse, by broadcasting the hash all the time,
instead of only during logins.