[Cryptography] quantum computers & crypto

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at zhaw.ch
Mon Nov 1 05:11:34 EDT 2021

On 10/29/21 6:42 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Joshua Marpet <Joshua.Marpet at guardedrisk.com> writes:
>
>> I literally just (yesterday) had a conversation with a financial institution
>> about this. They have a firm that does periodical updates to them of "what's
>> coming", and they were told that in 2022, they better have budget for quantum
>> decryption defense. Otherwise, they're behind the curve!!
>
> Banking is a bit special,

Not just banking. I'm currently watching, from a distance, a
standardisation group that is standardising crypto algorithms for use in
a branch of IoT, and it's all FULL KEY LENGTH AHEAD! with AES-256,
SHA3-512 etc, because of QUANTUM! (There are other reasons why these key
sizes are recommended, but QUANTUM! is the one given in the materials.)

Fun

Stephan