[Cryptography] Sky Global Indictment, March 12, 2021

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 21:32:23 EDT 2021

On 16/03/2021 15:11, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> On March 15, 2021, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
>
>> Could there be a Fourteenth Amendment defense in the US? Telephone

[...]

> I think the Napster case is more akin to what Fairbrother is reaching for,

I didn't bring up the 14th amendment, but I doubt there is a case there
- for a start it is about what States can do, and it is the Feds who are
doing the doing here.

Nor is there a defense of being a common carrier, the services are
limited in scope and not open to anyone.

My original point was that the cops will try to prevent these services
from operating by any means they can use - whether that is by breaking
the crypto or breaking the operation of the service or any other
(presumable legal or at least semi-legal) means to hand.

but
> the difference with regard to Sky Global and others has to do with allegation
> of complicity in the illegal activity on their service.

Yup, that is the main point at issue. Plus, even if not proven the
allegation of complicity is enough to destroy the service.

It's a bit curious that the cops seemingly do not try harder to break
message secrecy then do the classic bodyguard-of-lies attack, pretending
messages are secure while creaming off high-grade intel - they have done
this for up to 3 months or so in a couple of cases, but that is not very
long.

Perhaps it is because they are Policemen not TLAs, with a Police rather
than a secret agent mindset, and a bunch of different Policemen from
different forces as well - the desire to take action before the secret
is exposed, taking into account the possibility of betrayal, whether for
criminal reasons or simply through excess enthusiasm in one of the other
Police forces, may make long-term covert message security breaking
impractical.

But it is all about the vanity of criminals anyway - these services
typically cost $4,000 per year plus another $1,000 for the phone, and
you can only use them to contact other people who are on the service,
many/most of whom are criminals (though there were some celeb customers
in the early services).

That exclusive connectivity is about all users get for their money.

There may be an apparent small gain in anonymity through the use of
nyms, and in traffic hiding through the message service if that can be
trusted, but both are ineffective against a State-level opponent.

Plus, hiding who you are talking to doesn't make you inconspicuous if
everybody you could be talking to is a criminal.

Nail sticking up anyone? No wonder they get hammered.

What a bunch of criminals should do is mix their traffic with as much
other traffic as they can, and make it very hard to distinguish... but
that means no dedicated servers, and no $4,000 per year per phone fees.

And if you are charging $4,000 per year for a service which would
normally cost $100 or less it is hard to argue that you are not in
complicity with the criminal actions of your users - even if you don't
know what those actions are, or who the users are. What do the users get
for their $3,900 a year apart from your complicity?

Peter Fairbrother