[Cryptography] Apple's iCloud+ "VPN"

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Jun 24 21:07:02 EDT 2021

> On Jun 25, 2021, at 12:14 AM, Christian Huitema <huitema at huitema.net> wrote:
> Users may try to evade such bans by going through third party DNS resolvers like Quad9, but at least in Germany judges appear to say that if DNS resolution of some names is blocked by local ISPs, it should also be blocked by third party DNS resolvers.

Read the judgement.  That wasn’t the basis.  It isn’t constrained to DNS resolvers, and it’s not about blocking, they’re very clear that this applies whether or not it will have any effect on the ability of a user to reach infringing content.  This is SOLELY about extracting money from uninvolved third parties.  That’s the entire point of this injunction, that Quad9 has NO relationship with any infringing party.  It’s a step further than they’ve gone before.  It applies equally to the electrical utility, anti-virus software, schoolteachers…  It’s kind of hard to imagine anyone out of scope, at this point.  Which is the point.

> Can users evade that by running their own DNS resolvers?

No, the whole point of this finding is that they would still be liable if they ran their own server.

> On Jun 25, 2021, at 12:26 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> Users can also get around it the old-fashioned way. In the days
> before DNS we just copied a hosts file from machine to machine in
> order to share which addresses corresponded to which systems.

Nope, still liable under this finding.

                                -Bill