[Cryptography] Ynt: RNGs, Entropy, and Unguessability (really clock synchrony)

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Thu Jun 10 02:38:42 EDT 2021

On 9 Jun 2021 14:53 +0000, from bizbucaliyiz at hotmail.com (Osman Kuzucu):
> What about quantum entanglement? Entangled particles seems to be
> knowing the state of the each other in any instant. Perhaps a
> quantum machine that can do calculations with entangled particles
> will have such knowledge? I don't know.

At least the last time I looked, quantum entanglement required that
multiple opposing-state particles were somehow generated in the same
location, some subset of them somehow classically transported
elsewhere, and all it really allowed you to do after that was measure
some and know the state of the others. As I recall, it wasn't even
possible to know _a priori_ the state of the one you kept or
transported away, because as soon as you measured some, it caused the
states to collapse.

For example, here's some of what Wikipedia says in the introductory
section at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement>:

"However, all interpretations [of quantum mechanics] agree that
entanglement produces correlation between the measurements and that
the mutual information between the entangled particles can be
exploited, but that any transmission of information at
faster-than-light speeds is impossible."

Certainly interesting at a theoretical level, but at least given our
current understanding, hardly useful for doing anything like usable
communications, let alone in a typical consumer device, never mind in
a way that enables communication at superluminal effective speeds the
way it's often presented in science-fiction (heavy on the fiction).

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”