[Cryptography] Recommended Process for a new cipher mode submission

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Jul 16 15:44:43 EDT 2021

On 7/15/21 4:41 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Developing a new cryptographic elections scheme (and a proof) might
> get you tenure but it almost certainly won't get used. I am one of the
> very few people trying to get people interested in using threshold
> schemes and it is an uphill struggle which I would not be able to do
> in either academia or in any but the very largest industrial research
> labs.

     I am interested in this.  (cryptographic elections via threshold
mechanisms)

     Although I doubt it's going to be applicable to political elections
in our lifetime.  We still have trouble securing computers well enough,
on a large enough scale, and at least in some cases in the hands of
election officials who don't care much about security or may even
actively assist in subverting it if they have the opportunity. No matter
how good a computer implementation is, it has to be running on a machine
that isn't rooted.

    Paper lacks the CPU power and read/write memory necessary to run
malware, and paper is simple enough for people to understand, so we need
paper ballots.

                Bear