[Cryptography] Recommended Process for a new cipher mode submission

Jacob Christian Munch-Andersen nohat at nohatcoder.dk
Wed Jul 14 10:11:53 EDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021, at 9:10 PM, Tushar Patel wrote:
> Would someone be able to recommend the right process to submit a new cipher-mode, gain acceptance and additionally, how to capitalize on the work?
>
> I have some ideas on these, however, it would be good to hear viewpoints from others. It would be good if authors with approved standards or ciphers wrote a project introspection (on the development process, hazards they faced, etc.) for their work, something like the Mythical Man Month with a bit more detail in the standardization process. Please do suggest if there are any existing recent books on this topic, I skimmed through a couple, however, not very useful to recent US based procedures.
>
> Thx.,
> Tushar

There is no formal process, there are design competitions once in a while, but you could wait a long time if you were to wait for a suitable such competition.

There is generally no way to profit directly from cryptography design, trying to sell licenses is pretty hopeless when there are excellent free alternatives.

I don't think anyone really does cipher modes any more, modern ciphers are just designed with a single operation mode, and if anyone suggest a different operation mode, that would be considered a different cipher where we can't generally transfer our security beliefs between the two.

But if you think you have a good idea you would have to share it to get anywhere.