[Cryptography] Energy Consumption: Standards Trolls (was: disaster)

Alex Flanagan alex.flanagan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 13:48:11 EST 2021

> Bitcoin mining consumes energy, measured by the unit we call a Watt.  A
> watt is defined in the ISU as one joule per second.  The unit we call
> joule is a unit of work.

For the argument "bitcoin consumes too much energy", assuming emissions are
the concern, my response has typically been:

Energy *production* causes emissions not *consumption*.

The emissions attributable to bitcoin mined in Iceland are zero. The energy
*consumed* to mine them was *produced* by a zero-emissions source.