[Cryptography] New way to produce random bits much faster

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Feb 26 22:39:39 EST 2021

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 4:54 PM Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> On 2/25/21 6:18 PM, Grant Schultz wrote:
> > Sounds like it needs more and more thorough testing, but they claim it
> > can produce 250TB/second.
> >
> > https://phys.org/news/2021-02-scientists-laser-random-ultrafast.html
>
> Can't tell whether the phys.org story was written by a human or a
> machine*, but whoever wrote it didn't understand the material s/he or it
> was writing about.
>
> I'm sure I don't know enough about laser stuff, but from what I do know,
> this could be pure snake oil.
>
> -kb
>

> * Too many grammatical errors to be a machine?

The paper from yale seems to have more info or research.
https://news.yale.edu/2021/02/26/random-numbers-faster-laser
There is likely something useful in this new idea..
"The unpredictable properties of lasers have been used to generate random
numbers before, but"

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/laser-fastest-random-number-generator-computing

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6532/889

https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2018/04/nists-new-quantum-method-generates-really-random-numbers

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/199681492.pdf

--
          T o m    M i t c h e l l ( o n   N i f t y E g g )