[Cryptography] What ever happened to end-to-end email encryption?

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Aug 26 10:09:48 EDT 2021

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 9:38 AM Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> In reality, when a big email provider starts working on e2e email
> encryption, someone in government has a friendly conversation with some
> lobbyist or high level manager, and it is made clear that congress will
> step in with regulations to overturn e2e email if widely enabled.
>
> There may be a middle ground <https://arxiv.org/abs/1906.07841> in the
> future.  I know the hysterical folks on this list would hate it, but it
> would be better than what we have now.

I have told six former CIA/NSA directors what I am up to. None has told me
to stop.

The people from the Cabinet Office (GCHQ) are unhappy with my plans but
they haven't tried to tell me to stop either.

The lack of email security is ultimately the reason Putin was able to
install his kompromized rapist in the WhiteHouse for four years. The lack
of email security has directly led to 500,000 more Americans dying in the
pandemic.

There are powerful forces making end-to-end hard but the intel agencies are
not a factor.