[Cryptography] An interesting little pseudorandom number generator

Erik van Straten (Cryptography list) evs20200430f at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 4 05:34:54 EDT 2021

On Tue Jul 27 21:58:48 EDT 2021, Ray Dillinger wrote:
 > Anybody have some insights that I missed?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the array is initialized to all zeroes, it seems to be outputting zeroes forever.

Fair enough, you also wrote:
 > So some care must be taken to initialize it to a non-degenerate state.

However, how can we be sure that the array never turns into (and gets stuck in) an all-zero state?

I.e. which initialization values should be avoided or specifically chosen?

And how do the changes your proposed in later emails affect this? (I did not see any changes that avoid the all-zeroes
issue, but may have overlooked them).

Regards,
Erik van Straten

P.S. I specifically signed up for this list to write this mail, so it will probably be shown out of thread order.
I'm not a cryptographer, but interested (I've been reading https://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/ for a long
time). Googling ["Erik van Straten" security] (without []) provides some info on me (I'm not on LinkedIn).